The Big Match Brøndby v. Esberg
A few weeks ago I went with a few friends to one of the biggest futbol (read: soccer) matches of the year in Denmark. The match was between one of the Copenhagen area teams Brøndby (pronounced something like Bronbyu) and a West Jutland team Esberg (pronounced like Espi-err). A Danish friend notified us of the chance to go and without a second though I knew I was IN! How could I pass up the chance?
While biking to the stadium I got a preview of the bru-ha-ha that I would meet at the game. It was a rainy morning but the Esberg fans that had trained in from Jutland that morning barely took notice of the nasty weather, probably because they were already a bit wild-eyed from downing beers on the way. I saw several groups of them walking in the pouring rain toward the stadium from Norreport station, a fair distance away, singing songs and having a grand time.
Since my Danish friend Laust and his friend Peder were Brøndby fans we were Brøndby fans by association. Someone told me the Brøndby color was blue, so being all smart I wore my Wheaton soccer jersey. Problem was that Brøndby colors are blue and yellow and Esberg colors are blue and WHITE - so I didn't take my jacket off during the game, didn't want to cause a riot!
I arrived at the stadium, parked my bike and went to meet my friends. I had a second thought about where I parked my bike thinking I should move it. When I looked back to go move it 2 min later, there was already a guy releasing some Calsberg or Tuborg beer from his bladder over - but more like onto my bike - so we'll I didn't bother to move it - but was VERY GLAD that it was still raining ;-)
Here is a pic of the stadium at the beginning of the game
The fans go crazy, as one might expect at any soccer match in Europe I suppose. This was the view after one of Brøndby's goals. No kidding! Looks a bit like a war zone don't you think? Most annoyingly it means you can't SEE the field for a good five minutes after the goal...
One funny thing to note was that during half time one of the songs played on the loud speaker was "Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong. The funniest thing was that on the chorus the whole Brøndby side of the stadium started singing the words, even the big crazy fan guys! Kind of endearing and cute for a hard core futbol match scene.
In the end Brøndby won, my Danish friends were elated and we waved our Brøndby flags like true supporters. Some fans were quite exciting lighting off (illegally smuggled in) fireworks. The fan in this pic is holding the lit firework! Crazy!
This is a view of what WAS a jam packed bar during the match.
By this time the Brøndby fans were cheering on their team that had won, most of the Esberg fans were already out of the stadium as you can see from all the empty seats in the background.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home