Discovering Khong Chiam and a New Friend
My trek to Khong Chiam started off like a Chevy Chase movie, confusing and funny, if its not you living it ;-) I arrived in Khong Chiam hungry, tired, and again (like most of the trip) with no clue of where I was going. I got offered taxi rides, and had other guest houses trying to lure me to stay with them. After a hot, and heavy (my bag!) 15 minute walk I arrived at Ban Kiang Nam Hotel. It was beautiful! Very new, super clean - if you end up in this part of Thailand you've got to stay here!

The little cafe/outdoor breakfast nook!

More wonderful than the place is the owner Yaowalak Mongkundar (you'll see pics of her later). Soon after I arrived the hotel staff called Yao and had me speak on the phone to her, she drove over to the hotel right away. Perhaps because she is a friend of Dhan's she took good care of me. She whisked me off for a 20 baht noodle lunch and then to the community center with soccer fields. Saturday was the community sports day event. Yao's brother is on a soccer team that plays so she wanted to go cheer him on and cheer on her women over 30 team. When they found out I was over 30 they asked me to play, but I only had sandals so had to decline. The gathering was replete with cheerleaders, men's games, women's games, children running all over barefoot with smiles and dirty faces, and music all under the gaze of a clear sky and hot sun. What I loved about this community event was that people who don't like sports were dancing or singing with the music blaring from speakers throughout the games! Here are the cheerleaders!

Even though I was noticed by everyone, being a foreigner and all, after travelling on my own for a week it was nice to feel accepted by the people I met. Because I was with Yao I was part of the group and felt the glances and attempts to speak to me were signs of warmth and kindness, as well as curiosity.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home