Getting around Ubon
I arrived in Ubon with one phone number and one appointment at Ubon Ratchathani University and a hope that my 12 days there would somehow miraculously fill up with purposeful activities for my thesis. Getting to the university sounded easy, but the University wasn't in the city, it was in another town across the river. I took a cab there as I had no clue where to go and should have remembered the lesson from my travels to Kasetsart University campus in Bangkok - the campuses are huge! I ended up at the wrong side but thankfully got a motorcycle ride from a kind student and arrived for my meeting with Ajarn (Professor) Kanokwan, an advisor to the Mekong River Commission, on time.
While at the University I also met Dhan, the angel who helped me out so much before my arrival. He even gave me a ride back to my hotel. His English is great and he has travelled a lot in the region. He also helped me find lodging in Khong Chiam, a town that sits at the intersection of the Mekong and Mun Rivers! A real sweetheart.
Ajarn Kanokwan helped me connect to the local forestry department and with a local NGO called Nature Cares Foundation. The first day I went to the forestry office I was determined to get there by songteaw - pick up truck bus-like local transit. The great thing about the songteaw is that each one is only 10 baht regardless of where you go, the key is knowing where they go! I got the blue number 1 truck from nearby my hotel and took it to the bus station outside town. I thought I was trying to get to a place called Ba Mai Ket Jaeramae but no one knew where the hell I was talking about. I kept asking - Ba Mai Ket? Jaeramae? I got smiles, laughter and blank looks - but no guidance. Finally a guy at the bus station knew what I was saying - Pa Mae Kye in Jaeramae area. Oh great.
Another Songteaw dropped me off at the end of its route, which was NOT the forestry office. Then a scooter ride with a lady to some government office. They were confused, didn't speak English, nor understood my feeble Thai. Great, so they called the number I had for the forestry office, and finally an ah ha moment - someone knew where I was going (not me of course). Thankfully, the staff at that government office (still don't know where I was) drove me to Pa Mae Kye, the forestry office. It only took an hour and fifteen minutes! The next day, it took me only 20 minutes, go me!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home