Wednesday, September 26, 2007

More Pics and Reflections on Sept Trip to Germany and the Netherlands

As I mentioned in my previous post the trip was a good opportunity to see how restoration projects are done in these countries and to get to know my Danish (and non-Danish) colleagues better. We also got to partake of the local foods (I passed on the sausages though - they didn't have veggie versions ;-) and culture - this was particularly fun regarding the unique cafes in the Netherlands ;-)

A lasting impression of our time in Netherlands for me is this picture of the sheep out at pasture in a salt marsh-type area with the windmills in the backgrouns. There are windmills all over the place here. In class we heard that Denmark gets about 10% of its energy from windmills. This pic brought to mind the song "baa baa black sheep have you any wool..."












This picture is from the same area in the Netherlands. I love the colors in this photo, the bright green next to the blue sea.
















This picturesque lane is from a property owned by Queen Beatrix (of the Dutch Royal Family, gotta love the Royals in Europe) in Apeldoorm in the Netherlands. There are gardens on the property open to the public but we went to a closed area called Kroondomein Het Loo.





















All in all it was a busy trip getting up for breakfast by 7 or 7:30 and getting out the door by 8 or 8:30 each day and returning usually after 5pm. By the end of the week I was so sick of cheese (only) sandwiches (due to the lack of veggie sandwich options) that I was happy not to eat bread again for a while ;-) We also made time for fun though with some late nights out leaving some of us a bit lacking in energy the next day.....
















I LOVE the boots! Wish I'd gotten a pair like this instead of my boring plain black ones!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home