CCC Day Trip to Kamakura
During my two year stint in Japan I lived with two lovely ladies Cherine and Carys - as such our apartment became known as the CCC's place. We had hoped to do some kind of weekend or overnight trip together before leaving Japan bust the clock was ticking toward our final days here and an overnight trip quickly became impossible give the short time we had left in Tokyo. Instead we headed down to Kamakura for the day, Cherine had never been. Given that there are three of us this statue we stumbled across seems a good one to represent the day...
I have other pics of Kamakura earlier in the Blog with the Diabutsu (big Buddha) and some detail on the history in the area so I won't post that again here. We had georgeous weather for our day-trip. We went to Hasedera Temple (near the Daibutsu) which was just as beautiful as the last time I was there in March with my girlfriend Yoko. This time instead of blooming sakura (cherry blossoms) there was an Ajisai festival. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to flower names but perhaps these are hydrangeas in English? Not sure, in any case there were many different colors and varietals - and all incredibly vibrant and beautiful. Cherine and Carys adding their complimenting colors to the garden.
I love the combination of the flowers, the bamboo trees and this temple building in this picture.
These little statues are called Jizo in Japanese. I believe they are to commemorate the deaths of children (born and unborn). I asked Yoko once about the meaning of the little aprons on these statues and she said it is a sign that someone is visiting the and therefore remembered and well cared for.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home