Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Thesis Deadline - May 15, 2007!

Although the intention was to turn in the thesis a few days early, of course it didn't happen - such is life. Cherine and Nai got theirs in early. Carys and I turned in on the morning of the 15th and our colleagues Ryan and Harold turned in around 3:30, the deadline was 4pm - a close call and believe me they are strict on deadlines at my school. If you missed the deadline you can't graduate until the next term!

It was a great feeling to hand over the massive document, over 200 pages. This was far too long for a master's thesis. Believe me the next one will be shorter, my goal is less than 125 pages. The official title was "Transboundary Protected Area Project Development and Management Planning: Where Do Communities Fit? A Case Study of the Pha Taem Protected Forests Complex". Whew that is a mouth full isn't it?

I feel good about what I produced. I learned a great deal, made fantastic contacts in Europe and Thailand, and most importantly honed in on what I really want to do with my career - finally! I want to work in conflict management over natural resources. In particular I am interested in facilitating (or working for an organization that facilitates) multi-stakeholder fora in land management and protected areas (like national parks and wildlife sanctuaries) specifically. This means understanding the needs and views of farmers (with land near national parks) and communities, conservationists, business people, forestry departments, etc. I feel confident that the next degree in Europe will give me the science and economics background that I need to go with my social science and conflict management studies.

Here are some pics from the Big Day! This is Carys and I, smiley to be DONE!
















Three copies of my thesis! I can hardly believe I wrote all of that!
















Ryan, Carys and I. We supported each other during the thesis and I am going to miss them both like crazy. I'll miss the karaoke nights, 24 (TV show) marathons, Will Ferrell flicks, and their amazing spirits in my day to day life.
















From left to right - Sato-san, Mela, Me, Taneal - woo hoo, we did it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home