Wednesday, June 25, 2008

"P" Part 1: Places with Pics

PLACES: Its been nearly a month since my last post (another P!) with a tremendous amount happening during that time. Fortunately I have successfully completed the Copenhagen brain test that has been going on for the last 10 months. Prior to exams I went with my Conservation and Management of Genetic Resources (surprise! I even know what that means now ;-) on an excursion to Lolland. Now, most people go to Lolland to see this...





















This is Møns Klint. They are chalk cliffs in Denmark (on the Baltic sea) and contain many, many fossils. According to wikipedia the huge pressure from glaciers moving west compacted the terrain and pushed upwards, forming a number of hills and folds. Then, when the ice melted at the end of the last ice age, about 11,000 years ago, the cliffs emerged.

Unfortunately, our class did not go to there (though I REALLY want to). Instead we went to another more typical Danish setting and saw this....








This is a field of wheat trial plots for a wheat breeding company in Denmark. Seems it takes a few years to get a new variety with all the improvements (resistance to disease etc) that they want.

I also had the chance to mosey around Copenhagen in early July with a friend I met last year in Brussels at the Erasmus Mundus conference. Micheal is from Nigeria and was in Copenhagen just for 2 days. It was a georgeous day when he arrived so we wandered around Copenhagen first to Christianhavn (Kristians-hauwn) and then to Christiania (the alternative part of the city I wrote about before). Here is a pic of one of the canals in Christianshavn.
















We also wandered down to Nyhavn (Nyu-hauwn) where there are lots of tourist shops and restaurants - no wonder why its a beautiful area to hang out in.















Last of the "places" in this post is Faellenparken. This is a large park in the northern part of the city. For some reason in May they do a Carnival event. Carnival (the Catholic one) is usually in February. But I suppose in February its too cold and few Danes are Catholic anyway - guess they don't want to miss the party though so they put it in May when its warmer. Here is a pic of Morten and I with an American couple Laura and Jerry that I just had to say goodbye to today as they are now moving back to the U.S of A...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home