Last Look at Bangkok...for now
All in all it was a productive trip that enabled me to learn a great deal about my research project. I also experienced some unexpected joy travelling on my own. I was concerned that I would have a hard time travelling alone to the Thai hinterland but it was an empowering experience that gave me a better understanding of my own ability to be resourceful and use my intuition to feel my way through unfamiliar places.
While I've had a lot of good experiences travelling with friends in Japan, Thailand, Egypt, Italy, Mexico, and other places travelling on my own meant I got to meet a lot of very interesting people. The French financial services woman in Ubon who lives in Singapore and has scathing opinions about NGOs, the young Aussie woman training to be a Thai kickboxer. Reinhart, the German man who took me out for Christmas dinner. A Sri Lankan guy in Bangkok who was a semi-pro tennis player now living in Hong Kong who treated me to dinner, twice! The wonderfully sweet and lovely Yao from Khong Chiam. Dhan my angel at Ubon Ratchathani University. The inspiring and fantastic spirit I found in Ajarn Suvannee. And a very kind Mr. Hun who I learned is studying computer science and is a very good photographer after Yoshimi left to go home.
Ironically I spent more time with Mr. Hun than anyone else on my three week trip. Here is a picture of us.

I just like this pic and will leave it with you as my last look at Bangkok, at least for now. Perhaps I will end up back there after graduation if I can manage to find a decent job. Will keep you all posted on that.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home