Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Keeping in Shape in Kobenhavn

Well it took me a while to get settled in and although I walk (and now bike) just about everywhere I finally got around to getting on a work out routine. There are often people road running and always people in the parks. As far as I can tell Danes seem to be pretty health conscious people (except when they are drinking ;-)

A friend of mine told me that in Frederiksberg there is a law that all housing must be located within 500 meters of some tree/nature area. This is great because there are parks all over the place. I found one near me called Frederiksberg Have. It is about a kilometer away. My routine is to run there, do a loop around the place and run home, this adds up to about 5 km. Ironically it is the only place I have found with hills, does this result in me being in better shape or just stupid for choosing to run hills in one of the flatest cities there is? I'll let you decide.

Here are two pics of the views I get on my excercise route, not too shabby huh?
































Also in Frederiksberg Have is this peculiar tree with baby stuff tied to branches like this one. Some have pacifiers, some bottles, some with small toys.

















And its not just one branch, its the whole tree - BUT only this tree as far as I can tell.

















I am guessing that it has something to do with good luck with fertility or child birth or something. This is interesting because from all I have heard Danes are not particularly religious people - apparently there are many who are superstitious though... If this is the case I need to find me the make-my-brain-smart-so-I-can-pass-tree and the wisdom-for-finding-a-good-man-tree!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home