The Danes and Their Affection for Licorice
A unique aspect of Danish culture that keeps appearing over and over to me here is the Danish affinity for licorice, which I am afraid I will never develop a taste or a stomach for. Without being melodramatic I can confidently report that even the Fakta Quick (small sized grocery spot near my apt) has on their shelves AT LEAST 15 different options for the licorice craving public. According to my friends here there are sweet versions, salty versions, low fat versions, you name it, they've got it.
This licorice flavoring also makes its way into other candies and drinks. Everytime I go to the bar with friends of mine someone inevitably buys a round of this absolutely ghastly tasting licorice alcohol that it takes all my gumption to drink down and is followed by an unwelcome shiver (akin to the one that comes after downing a shot of the most awful tasting medicine you remember from your childhood, I've got goosebumps just THINKING about it).
I pride myself on being a fairly adaptable gal, but somethings (like sea urchin sushi in Japan) like licorice just may not make the cut. The main brands of licorice here are Gajol and Laekerol. Here are some emergency supplies I found in some airport shops. The one has 9 different varieties in this tiny display!
And this one has six...too much for moi.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home