Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Strollin' Solo to Grantchester (UK) - Mid October

While I was visiting Carys in Cambridge she needed to go into the city (London) for an afternoon. Rather than joining her in trekking to the busy city I spent the day lolly-gagging, wandering essentially around the area. The weather was fantastic so I took Carys and Mike's advice and walked to the nearby town of Grantchester looking for "The Orchard" a famous outdoor tea place that used to be a favorite of Virginia Wolfe and other artists back in the day.

From Mike's place it was a long walk but when Carys and I parted ways (she for the station me for my stroll) she pointed me in the right direction and I was on my way. The walk was partly just on sidewalks through the outskirts of Cambridge but most of it was through quiet and peaceful Grantchester Meadow. Here are a few pics that I think encapsulate the experience. This is the beginning of the inviting path.




















As it was a week day there were few other people out in the area. The warm bright sun and my calm mood coupled with the quiet meadow and periodic calls from birds gave me the opportunity to contemplate the previous days of friendly chatting with a dear friend. Being in such quiet and open spaces can give us the time out we need from life to really appreciate what we have and who we hold dear.

This is my favorite pic due to the bright blue sky and sun and the the colors of the leaves. Quintessential autumn....





















This is just a lovely view of the varied landscape from the open meadow, to the water, to the trees, to the house on the hill.




















I didn't manage to find "The Orchard" but I did find Byron's Lodge, which is apparently somehow connected to Byron - so it wasn't all for not.





















Being in England one must go for proper tea even though it didn't open until two and it was already starting to be a bit of a chill in the air. So I ordered some earl grey and some apple spice cake. I was the only one there initially a nice chance to take a look at a book I had borrowed from the bookshelf at Mikes called "Passionate Minds" about various women artists who have been influential. A lovely afternoon.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home