Fun Danish Words!
As things have been quite busy, sometimes my attention to detail is lacking but there are a few Danish words that cause me to smile when I see them including:
"Fart" means speed in Danish so there are a slew of funny words: Fart Control, Middlefart (the name of a town I think) and the best one, a big bus I saw that said Turistfart. He he he, really makes me laugh that one. Something about getting tourists around quickly I guess.
Another fun word is "skum" which in one sense means skim like skummetmaelk (skim milk). But there are also these holiday marshmallow candies called Juleskum, Christmas skum? Not sure about that one but again still funny.
I also recently learned the Danish work for baby - as in hey baby, is "skat". I can now effectively say "hej skat". Might come in handy at some point I guess.
"Hugsten" means pruning or thinning (of trees) as far as I can tell. Maybe this is where the term tree hugger comes from?
A word I just like is "piskefløde", which is Danish for whipping cream. Just sounds like a cute word to me. Like in Japanese one of my favorite words is "toki-doki" - which is not exciting at all, it means "sometimes". Another one I like in Danish is Aebleskiver, which is a Christmas holiday sweet akin to a donut hole in the US and they eat it with jam, in the old days it had a piece of aeble (apple) inside but not always nowadays. Another interesting fruit word is "sharonfrugt", the word for persimmon is now somehow Sharon's fruit? I guess I can associate the orange color with Sharon...mmm don't have a good explaination for that one.
In general I am getting better at saying the few words that I need to in order to get by, or at the very least able to read the words I need to at the store so that I get my skummetmaelk and not piskefløde for my coffee.....

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home