Bornholm Part 2: Funny Signs and Such
Going to Bornholm gave me a new opportunity to notice Danish-ness again. Being in Copenhagen now for a year I think I have become rather de-sensitized to this now. Bornholm, although clearly a part of Denmark, has a unique dialect of Danish and some quirky things that I had to snap a photo of and share with you.
The first funny sign I noticed was this one. Now this could be anywhere in the world but the fact that it was outside of an Irish Pub on a friendly, pedestrian shopping street in Bornholm made it completely out of place. Don't you agree?
Although I only saw one or two harleys on the island I did see a lot of people one wheels - and not just bikes. Like many countryside places the population of Bornholm is ageing but with speedy style. I can't tell you how many octogenarians I saw on flashy automated wheel chairs cruising down the main strip of town. It occurred to me that we often assume that retired folks are slowing down, maybe they are speeding up and having wheelchair versions of drag car races in the street after the kids go off to bed. Probably not but a funny thought anyway.
This sign was on the bus and while its not completely un-understandable I will do my best to translate. From left to right the meanings are: no ice cream type food, no weiner/hot dog/sausage type food, and no drinks on the bus. I like the middle one the best. It shows 2 sausages but can you eat sausage on the bus if you just have one? Being a vegetarian I didn't test this bus-riding rule :-)
This guy was hanging out at the harbor in Gudhjem (the most beautiful tourist town on the island). He has got his own style won't you agree? I love the combo of the pipe, dress shoes with no socks, and his short shorts - not to mention his tanned trim legs. Morten was starting to get nervous that I might scoop him up and bring him back to Copenhagen - but at the end of the day I am not a smoker so I left him with his fishing mates on the island (the guy I mean, not Morten ;-).
This contraption was on the exterior wall of a house in Hammerhus and is a blast from the past - not MY past mind you - THE past. Apparently this mirrored thing was a look out for ladies in the house. This way they could see the happenings on the street to keep up on the town gossip and still be able to maintain their prim and properness of disinterest from the comfortable confines of their house. The inspiration for today's webcams maybe?
Lastly, this...well I don't know exactly what this is but we noticed these tiles with photos on them outside several homes in the town. The only thing I could figure is that instead of putting their names on the door or the post box they put up tiles with their faces on them. Maybe the postman or postwoman can't read? A warning of who you are going to encounter inside? A tool to save one from embarrassingly knocking on the wrong door? Hard to tell but definately a unique attribute of this tiny seaside town.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home