Tuesday, November 22, 2011

2.5 Months into the Mateo Adventure...

Its been a long time since I last wrote, June in fact! I thought I would have lots of time to make posts in the 6 weeks I had off from work before Mateo's anticipated arrival but he had other plans...

We didn't expect Mateo until early October but he decided to arrive in early September instead. After a fairly long and ultimately unsuccessful labor he came into the world in the wee hours of September 7th by C-section. Despite his early arrival he still weighed 3 kilos (6.6 lbs). We stayed in the hospital for 4.5 days. Here is our 1st photo of him.











Here is a pic my friend took when she visited us at the hospital.









Since we don't have a car or a child seat for use in a car the only way to come home was by bus or walking. Since we were caught by surprise by his early arrival we had to borrow a baby carriage from Morten's parents. Although much of the day we went home was rainy the clouds cleared and the sun came out just long enough for the new little family to walk the kilometer or so home. It was a slow walk and it seemed a bit surreal to me after being in the hospital for more than 4 days. Until then Mateo only existed in the hospital so his arrival was not very connected to my pre-hospital daily existence.

The first week or so we were actually in control of the schedule (which was soon to come to an end..). Since Mateo came a bit early his intuition about when to eat was still a bit weak I had to get him up every 3 hours to eat. So much for the saying 'never wake a sleeping baby'!

As of today Mateo is nearly 11 weeks old. He has grown over 9 centimeters and weighs a bit over 5.5 kilos (a bit over 12 lbs). In general he is a good little boy without too many skrigturs (screaming trips) in a day. He is now sleeping pretty well at night going to sleep sometime between 10-11pm and then getting up only once to eat between 2:30-3:30 and then again at 6:30-7 am. This means Mommy is getting usually at least 6 hours sleep a night which means I have more energy to update this blog for example :-).

He can see more now and is mesmerized by bright lights. He is starting to realize he can touch and move things with his hands. Best of all sometimes we get some nice smiles and even sometimes a laugh out of him, which makes dealing with the skrigturs a bit easier for Mommy and Daddy :-). Here is in his Halloween pajamas :-)











And here he is showing off his muscles!








As for me I am back to my pre-pregnancy weight already, although not in as good a shape as I was before of course. I am hoping to start up with some exercise again in the coming weeks. At this point I am just waiting for Mateo to get more into a rhythm so that I can be more energetic in the mornings to be more active.

Morten is also doing well. He had the first 2 weeks after Mateo was born and then on November 1st he started up with a new job. This is great since the news about the economy here in Europe just seems to be getting worse and worse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home