Skiing with the gang in Kusatsu town Feb 10-12
For the ski addicts out there I sincerely suggest a trip to Japan for a unique ski experience! Sure there are the crowds ( just like there are everywhere in this country) but there are also some outlandish ski outfits circa 1970 or 1980 out there to behold and most importantly the post-ski onsen (hot spring) soak.
When I lived in Hiroshima 10 years ago (egads has it been that long?) I went skiing several times but skiing in Kusatsu was much better as I am no longer too shy to enjoy the full ski experience. By this I mean ending the day with an onsen (hot spring). An onsen is THE perfect way to end the day after an intense day of skiing, for sure I am going to miss it when I leave.
In case you end up in Japan here's how it works at the onsen. You go into the front counter and pay to get in (can range from $5 in rural areas to $20+ in Tokyo). If you don't have your own towel you can usually rent or buy one at the front desk, not to worry! You go in to the appropriate locker room area (male or female) find a locker, get undressed and take the locker key with you (usually a wrist band set up of some sort) and go into the shower area.
Typically the shower area has low wooden stools and may or may not have shampoo and soap (so always good to bring your own just in case). One you've washed up its time to enjoy the onsen! In the countryside especially a lot of places have a rotenburo (outside pool), these are by far the best if you ask me, just be careful not to scratch your butt on the rocks! Its so nice to sit outside in the hot water and enjoy the cool air or a nice breeze, or at night see the stars through the steam. On this trip there was a light snow to compliment our nightsky viewing.
The atmosphere in the onsen depends on the people in there, not sure about the men's side but is seems like the mom's usually take the little kids with them so sometimes there are kids running around naked from pool to pool. Generally the different pools are either different temperatures or have different minerals in the water that are good for your health. One place near my apartment actually has an electric pool - I was taught water and electricity don't mix but at this place the slight electric pulses into the water are apparently good for you. Since the water is quite hot its common to take a break sit around outside the pool go back inside or in some places switch to a sauna or steam room area.
Forget muscle pain the next day when there are soothing, healing mineral waters to be soaked in. Forget freezing your tail off in the cold and feeling you'll never warm back up when you have got a steaming onsen to warm up in. Just don't forget the water before starting with the post skiing partying or you'll be too dehydrated to get up and go the next day.
As for the skiing in Kusatsu (a town with a few ski areas and 18 free hot springs run by town volunteers) it was OK. It was Ryan's first time skiing and he did fantastic. Brad-o is a skiing star. Me, I am somewhere in the middle, I can get down the mountain usually without hurting myself, but don't always have the best form, but at least I have fun ;-)
All in all it was a great weekend giving me a much needed break from my computer and thesis thoughts.
On the train to Brad-o's place in Takasaki Friday night. Once we arrived we hit the combini (convenience store) for snacks and drinks and geared up to watch - Top Gun - oh yeah! Also, a word to the wise - never watch the Kenny Loggins video for "Highway to the Danger Zone" - bad bad bad bad - all around all really bad.
Dad, this one is for you! One of the stations on route to Rock-a-saki (Takasaki really)
Hi ho, hi ho, its off to ski we go...actually Carys didn't ski - bad knees so she onsened ALL day, lucky gal.
Ryan's first ride on a ski lift - and he didn't manage to fall or knock Brad-o over when he got off.
Ry and I on the lift.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home