God Jul fra Danmark - With Pics!
Merry Christmas from Denmark. The holiday season here is in full swing and slowly I am learning more about the unique traditions they have here. To begin I must say it is nice to be in a country that celebrates Christmas this year. Additionally, Danes seems to celebrate the holiday in a manner that is less explicitly religious than in the US. It seems much of the holiday is cultural rather than religious in feeling, and in a way I like that. It means that everyone can be included regardless of their background or religious values.
I realize some may think this is diluting the REAL meaning of Christmas, which in some ways is true. BUT maybe it is also expanding the idea of Christmas to be more inclusive and isn't that a great thing? As a not-particularly-religious-person I have often felt a bit on the sidelines in the US at Christmas. Even in Japan, which is not a Christian country, it is easy to feel left out because Christmas is essentially a second Valentine's there, for couples only. What about Christmas songs and sayings like "joy to the world" and "peace on earth, goodwill toward men" (AND women)? Why not focus on these ideas that unite? After all we all have the ability to spread good cheer....and indeed they do, the Danes, they take on the holiday season with a vigor and a gusto like I've never seen in the U.S.
As I mentioned Jul Frokost (Christmas lunch) is a Danish tradition, and I have now learned it is really not Frokost as I would think of it in the US. "Lunch" may begin during the day or in the evening; but in either case it lasts for hours and hours. From what I can gather it is a combination of eating lots and lots of meat (including a LOT of pork) and drinking any number of the Danish holiday beverages (julebryg (christmas beer), glogg (spiced hot wine), or snaps (schnapps)). It is the time of year where everyone from uni students to the suit and tie crowd seem to over-do it (with enthusiasm) on the alcohol. A Swedish friend told me today that at his Jul Frokost three people were carted out in an ambulance from alcohol poisoning, before 8pm! Crazy drunkards aside, the lunch is fun and there always seems to be an abundance of sweets many of which contain marzipan, yum! Here is pic of my friend Grace (from Taiwan) and I at our Jul Frokost at the university.
Another great thing about being in Denmark this time of year is that despite the short days, and long dark nights there are a lot of Christmas lights up everywhere. Where I live in Frederiksberg each street has a different arrangement of lights suspended over the street, and the pattern goes on and on for blocks. Here are pics of two different streets.
Unlike the US one of the common Christmas time decorations here are hearts (maybe Japanese came to Denmark and saw all the hearts at Christmas and got that couples Valentines-like holiday idea....)
The City Hall in Frederiksberg is surrounded now by light strewn trees and in the piazza in front of the building is a temporary Jule Marked (Christmas Market). The lights up everywhere give me a way to rationalize my way out of a negative attitude about the cold, dark days - at least there are pretty lights to reward me for being out and to bring a smile to my face. In this way I will be sad for the holiday season to end, and the lights being taken down.
Strolling down the street near my apartment Saturday afternoon on the way to brunch with a friend we saw many shops with small tables outside offering tea and holiday snacks to passersby (hoping they will become buyers of shop goods). We even saw a Santa Claus. Periodically, I have also seen a small marching band on the street playing Christmas songs, not a whole parade really, just a small group, right in the middle of the road...as if they are playing their song with the message - Make Way for Christmas! Here is a multi-aged (non-mobile) group of performers down of the main shopping street in Copenhagen
This is just a picture I really like from a street vendor on the main shopping street in Copenhagen. Here they are selling all types of dried fruits. I love the colors in this photo. This street vendor was also selling cooked peanuts with some kind of sauce that people were buying and snacking on to keep them warm and happy during their holiday shopping. Shopping with snacks, for those of you know how often I eat (I am a frequent grazer) you will know this is a perfect system for me ;-)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home