Bornholm Part 4: Kirke
One thing I noticed right away are the cute, tiny churches in Bornholm. Given how small the population is I was surprised at how many of them were in Ronne. There must have been at least 5 or 6 and this in a country that has zero religious fervor these days. I didn't get a chance to go in any of them but took some snaps anyway. Can't remember which one this is...
Here is the tiny Baptist Church...
This church is in the outskirts of the town of Ă˜sterlars and is the largest Rundekirke (round church) on the island. Of the 22 churches on Bornholm 4 of them are Rundekirke. Not a small number of churches considering island residents were not converted to Christianity until 1020. The Ă˜sterlars Rundkirke is the largest of the round churches on the island. It was build around 1150 (they think) and served both as a place of worship and protection from enemies at sea. Some also believe there were links between this church and the French Knights of Templar.
(Source: http://www.bornholm.info/Sevaerdigheder/469we.aspx?langId=2)
The Danish rail service uses this church in its advertising and has it lift off like a rocket (or so I am told). Knowing this I think of the tune "Rocket Man" when I look at the photo ;-)
This was my last look at Bornholm as I boarded the ferry in Ronne to head back to CPH in the evening. A great great trip that I will never forget :-)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home