Wednesday, September 03, 2008

First Impressions of Sweden

I always find it is important to write down the interesting and funny things about a new place because before you know it you adapt and they become common and you forget what you found odd in the beginning. So here is a short list of what has been of note so far:

1. Swedish as a language sounds more sing-songy than Danish

2. One must buy any alcohol over 3.5% in the state run liquor store, and there is one even in this tiny town

3. The biking system is different. Its funny in Japan you can bike wherever you want on the side of the road, on the side walk. In Copenhagen you have clear bike lanes and even lights for the bikes in many places. In Sweden they have these raised paths near the road with a dividing line for bikes and pedestrians, and you don't necessarily bike in the same direction as the car traffic, that seems strange to me now.

4. Everything IS in tubes. I didn't believe it when Morten said this but he is right. Tubes, like the kind you find Tom's of Maine toothpaste in (of some metal substance). Some examples: ketchup, mustard, caviar, mayonnaise, salad dressing. You also find jam in these tube things that are like what you find raw cookie dough in when in the US.

5. I have a TV in my room and practiced the art of TV time-suckage for the first few days browsing channels looking for English language programs. They have the best of what the US has to offer on everynight - I am referring to The Simpsons of course - doh!

6. Here are 2 funny signs I have seen so far. See if you can figure out what they are for ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home