Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Danish Strongman Grand Prix

So while browsing the listing of Copenhagen events last week I found a notice for the Danish Strongman Grand Prix. I make no joke when I tell you this was the description of what I would find in the notice "Disciplines include tire-flip, farmers’ walk, lorry-pulling, one-arm weightlifting and yogi-war". Yogi-war? I have NO idea, but I thought I'd go and check it out, seemed too bizarre to miss and I had the day free anyway.

The event was held at Bakken, which claims to be the oldest amusement park in the world with a tradition stretching back over 400 years. Unlike the amusement parks of my Maine youth this one had fewer rides, more games, and more alcohol. It seemed more like a county fair to me (sans the farm animals) than a US style amusement park.

Perhaps it was due to the Strongman event but the crowd at Bakken seems a bit more rural than at the Tivoli amusement park in the center of Copenhagen. Strange to see people drinking beers at noon at such a place. I can't imagine I'd want to go on the rollercoaster after too many drinks... In the crowd of Strongman observers there were tatoos a plenty, parents and kids with matching AC DC tee-shirts and even a woman carrying a baby with some way too hip for babies pair of sunglasses.

The event itself was free to watch and so it was packed. I caught a few glimpses of the lorry (american translation = truck) pulling. This is the truck they all pulled successfully about 10-15 meters (if my Danish number translation is correct).
















Later on they got up on stage to lift this very heavy thing with weights - the numbers were too high for me to be able to translate, my apololgies but it was a lot in anycase.





















I think these were the last 3 guys in the running - plenty of neck to go around here ;-)













Unfortunately I didn't get to see what the yogi-war was all about, or the farmer's walk maybe one of you who is familiar with this event can enlighten me? I have an image of bulky Jedi knights and grampas walking around in flannel shirts carrying pitchforks but I must be wrong....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home