Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Autumn Around Alnarp (Sweden)

Daylight hours are getting shorter, the air is feeling crisper, and the musty scent of fallen yellow and red leaves follow me wherever I wander these days. Fall is here and while it means that the wet, dark, and damp Scandinavian winter will soon follow, I can still manage to appreciate the autumn colors here, although its nothing compared to Maine's foliage.

This is a pic of what used to be the main castle on the Alnarp estate. Now it contains offices for various professors, but it still looks pretty nice this time of year.
















I have forgotten the name of the bush behind me but the color is fantastic don't you think?





















This guy (who some of you may recognize ;-) is standing next to an odd 1970s sculpture in front of the University library called "Bobo's Heart". I don't know the story behind it but its an oddity that is well known here and is often the meeting place on the campus for outings, meetings etc.
















This is a very descriptive sign telling people to watch out for children, simple enough and the type of sign found in many places around the world.


















What I found surprising was THIS sign. Does this mean you DON'T have to watch out for children? This was just around the corner from the other sign. I guess here if a kid steps into the road before your car, you can just run him/her over? Funny, but also a bit strange if you ask me.....















Lastly, the state of Rhode Island has a degree of familiarity here in Sweden that I would not have suspected. In addition to having Thousand Island salad dressing, there is Rhode Island salad dressing. I haven't tried it yet but I may try to introduce a Maine salad dressing while I am here ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home