Thoughts on the year past and the year ahead....
Having spent the last few years in Asia for New Years, I have developed what I think is a healthy routine of spending some down time contemplating the year that has past and the year that lies ahead. This 24 hours is an opportunity to reflect on the changes, the mistakes, the opportunities, the challenges, the achievements, the failures, the disappointments, and the joyful moments of 2007.
For me it has yet again been a year of transition, perhaps every year is. My 2007 began with a spectacular sunrise at Angor Wat temple in Cambodia with my Japanese friend Yoshimi, remember this picture?
The few days in Cambodia were an eye-opening experience into Cambodia's rich cultural past and the reality of the country's present and future as it struggles to rebuild from an era of utter tragedy of Khmer Rouge rule.
2007 brought with it new stresses among them writing my gargantuan thesis and the insane amount of work that entailed. The rush at the end of the year to turn in the paper and present it to Japanese Rotarians was not an entirely smooth process but my five fantastic colleagues and I did it, and celebrated the conclusion of our two years of study with a unforgettable Tokyo-style all nighter.
In June I both reconnected to my long-time San Francisco community during a week long vacation and also said many teary goodbyes to my community of dear friends with whom I shared two amazing years in Japan. Saying goodbye to Carys at the train station at Musashisakai was a gutting experience that I can remember clearly to this day. Not knowing when I would see her again after living with her for two years seemed surreal....
Then it was a month long re-immersion into the US visiting friends and family all over the East coast. It was by and large a great summer and a good time and place to mentally prepare for the move to Copenhagen - a new place, a new challenge, a new program of study - that quite frankly I was very nervous about...and still am some days.
Settling into CPH had its challenges but I have been blessed with being surrounded by some incredible people Danish and non-Danish. What would I do with out some of my SUFONAMA scholarship cohorts and forestry course colleagues. We travelled together with our course and learned about more than just trees - we had a chance to connect outside the classroom which had made all the difference in my experience here. Many new people have entered my life in Denmark, some of them will stay with me on my life's journey, they are the forever friends - you know who you are.
So many people have touched my life and my heart in 2007 from sweet smiling Cambodian children, to family members, to dear old friends, to lovely new friends, from old loves to new loves. Thank you all for the moments and memories. Surely there will be more of them to share in 2008. I hope the year begins for all of you with a sparkle....be it in the silent coolness and diamond like glimmers of light on the fresh snow, the specks of mica in beach sand, or in the magical twinkle in the eyes of a dear friend or loved one.... Happy 2008 Everyone!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home