Tuesday, June 02, 2009

People Watchin' in Copenhagen

Given how busy I have been in working on my thesis, most of my free time is spent with friends and colleagues mainly from the university. As a result there has been limited time for people watching. The impressions that I got from attending a music festival over the weekend at the campus indicates that I have missed a lot....and most of it is pretty bad.

I don't consider myself a fashion diva by any stretch of the imagination - but what I noticed over the weekend was just sad. What is funny about that is when I came to Denmark initially nearly 2 years ago, people seemed SO fashionable!

Here is a glimpse of what the spring-summer trends have dredged up from the fashion graveyard (and should have stayed there!)

- Coral/salmon pink - along with yellow this color looks bad on almost everyone!

- Skinny jeans, anyone remember skinny jeans from 15 years ago? Well they are back and in force! I tried to find some what I would call normal jeans a few weeks ago, after going to 15 shops and finding only skin-tight-pasted-on looking jeans or super-wide-leg looking like a skirt jeans I gave up

- Pleather (plastic-leathery looking) black leggings, really terrible because most of the people who wear them shouldn't wear anything so skin tight

- Giant flowy shirt-dresses with no waist, which make anyone including Twiggy look alikes look pregnant

- I dream of Jeannie pants in all sorts of colors, why? And sometimes they are part of a one piece outfit that involves a tube-top? I don't know who came up with it, but it is a terrible combination

- And last but not least - leg warmers - yes I have actually seen leg warmers like the ones I work in elementary school

So what have I learned from all this bad fashion? Mainly the conclusion is that being an adult means recognizing this bad fashion as something that should have never been recycled from the past, it was bad the first time, its only worse the second time around. My evidence of this is that the only people I thought looked 'normal' and not fashionably pregnant, trampy, or bizarre were at least in their late 20s or early 30s.

Any of these fashion faux-pas' happening in a location near you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home