Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Kusatsu Town - Onsen-ville

As I mentioned in another post Kusatsu has 18 FREE onsens (hot springs). These places tend to be on the small side with limited washing up areas and no soaps. As we were arriving after a full day of skiing we opted for the paid places. This place was amazing (sorry no pics from the inside ;-). The entire walk up to the onsen was a river of hot spring water so it had a sort of mysterious spooky atmosphere to it, plus of course a sulfuric smell (not so nice). This onsen was immense you could literally swim laps if it weren't so hot - probably the hottest onsen I've been in yet.

















Onsens are the main attraction in Kusatsu year round, this is a picture of the downtown area, all that smoke and steam is from the hot spring water right in the main shopping and eating area. Carys has some better pics that I will put up once she gets back from her travels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home