Monday, January 28, 2008

More than just philosophizing....

To ensure that you all don't get the impression that all I do is study here, rest assured there has been time for some fun. Since the new year there have been a few late nights and fun weekends with friends. A few weeks ago I met up with Laura and Jerry, a couple from Salt Lake, to check out the Statens Museum here in Copenhagen. Its one of the few places that has free admission! Unfortunately, our brunch pains kicked in before we got to check out the whole museum but it was enough time to get a glimpse of some modern Danish art and decide that I will have to go back again sometime.

As many of you know, having studied Renaissance art in Rome, I can be a bit of a art snob. Some of you may recall my lamentations about completely white canvasses hanging in the SF Museum of Modern Art and remarking, what the heck is that? Why is THAT art? The guy just bought a canvas and painted it white and put it on a wall - big deal. NOW, IF you saw my previous post it is pretty evident that I am no artist, so this is a bit hypocritical on my part I admit.

In anycase I am happy to report that there were a lot of works that I really liked in the Statens Museum. It was an interesting mix although I must admit I still remain a bit clueless about some pieces, such as a video from the 70s that one Danish artist made of killing a horse. Apparently its value lies in the fact that it shook people up. When we watched it we thought (or I guess hoped) it was all a show but a Danish colleague explained to me that they really killed a horse!!! Apparently this artist is now 'respectable' and even did a portrait for the Danish Queen! So, I suppose notoriety of any kind can be useful.
Here is a picture of the outside of the museum.
















I also had the chance to check out some live music with Laura and Jerry a few weeks ago in Norrebro at a really cute bar called Blagardsgade Apoteket. This is a great shopping street and home to a yummy restaurant called Kate's Joint that has always been too busy for me to get a table at, but I hope to check it out sometime soon - WITH a reservation.

I can't say I have had much of an opportunity to eat Danish food since I arrived here, but I did check out an Iranian restaurant with a friend recently. The food was all right -but it was the atmosphere that had us grinning all night. We sat right next to the "live music", which was one older man (about 60) who had a slew of instruments at his disposal including: a key board, flute, drums, and a guitar - plus he sang! Generally he used the keyboard as his backup beat/band and then played one of the instruments. I had never heard the beep-bop-beep-bop keyboard played with a flute before, but there is a first time for everything I suppose. He was such a little dear sweet man, and although the music was a bit too loud for our taste, we couldn't help but feel sweetly amused by the situation.

Finally, following exams I had the fortune to meet up with several Danish colleagues to celebrate the end of term at a nearby pub, which was also showing Denmark in the quarter-finals match of the European Handball Championship. Now, I don't know much about handball but I think you will get the idea if I say its kind of like hockey without skates or sticks on a basketball court, with a ball (about the size of a softball) instead of a puck. Its a curious sport, and very popular in Denmark. In fact Denmark went on to win the championship over the weekend. To be honest the game is so-so interesting for a novice like me with regard to the sport itself - BUT the players are ALL good looking - so the women are pretty enthusiastic fans ;-)

Now I am off to meet my friend Sophie for our Sunday night jazz routine. No more postings for awhile as I am off to Paris for a week to visit with old friends and wander around the amazing history laden streets of that beautiful city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home