Another reason to settle into DK
So along with moving into a new apartment with Morten (see previous post) I was busy over the last month finishing my thesis and completing an application for a PhD scholarship at the University of Copenhagen LIFE Sciences Campus, Forestry Research Centre. It was quite an intense time, but the application was successfully turned in on May 19th.
Only June 19th my sister had a baby and I found out unofficially from the director of my master's scholarship program that I had been awarded the PhD scholarship. The 'official' notification came in an email this past week.
As many of you know it was never in the grand plan for my life to do a PhD (or study for so damn long) but it was an opportunity that seemed too good to pass up. The professor I worked on my thesis with in Copenhagen has the same interests as I do about finding ways to improve/make public participatory processes in natural resources management more effective/useful/inclusive etc.
The PhD will give me the opportunity to explore the design process of participatory processes with process facilitators in DK and the United States over the next 3 years. I am hoping to coordinate with the US Institute for Environmental Conflict Resolution based in Arizona if possible. But in any case I get to also work with 2 profs at the forefront of this field of work in the US in Utah and Oregon. All of this ads up to a 6-9 month research stay in the US in 2011, which will make it much easier to see some of you!
So what is happening now? Not much and I am happy for it. The next weeks I will be working here and there part time to help out with the summer course associated with my scholarship program, arranging my visa for the PhD, and most importantly - RELAXING! I have also scheduled to be on the East Coast (Maine mostly) from Aug 21 to Sept 4 when I am looking forward to seeing Master William (my 4 year old nephew) and Mr. Jak (who is a whole 1 week old now).

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home