Thursday, July 09, 2009

More Exploring of the Gangsta-hood

I jest really, its not a dangerous neighborhood really at all compared to most places I lived in San Francisco, but because it is teeming with immigrants it gets such a rep. So far I've haven't seen or heard any 'action', a good thing to be sure.

In my new neighborhood there are two quite large green spaces. Once is called Fælledparken the other is called Assistens Kirkegård. Now Assistens Kirkegård is the Danish equivelant to the Père-Lachaise Cemetary in Paris. Both cemetaries include the resting places of many famous people. Among the famous people buried in Assistens Cemetary are: Søren Kierkegaard, Ben Webster (US jazz musician) and Hans Christian Andersen (see me and H.C. below).
















The funny thing about this cemetary is that it not only a tourist destination like the Père-Lachaise Cemetary (where Jim Morrison, Chopin, Proust, Balzac, Marcel Marceau among other notables) but it is also a place for picnics, and get this, even suntanning! Oh the Danes! As the cemetary was established in the 1750s it also has an array of old trees, probably some of the oldest in the city. Here is a photo of the main walkway through the cemetery.


















As I walked through the cemetery once with Morten and failed to find HC Andersen's grave, I went again with my Anne-Mette and found it. I noticed both times a lot of stones with the name (perhaps) "Fred" like these two....




































...and while Frederik is a Danish name, a nickname like Fred is not the norm here, in fact Fred means Peace...fitting but still a bit of fun with language!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home