Christmas Holiday 2009 - Denmark
Well I know these are WAY over due, but things have been busy what can I say? I spent Christmas this year again with Morten's family. Christmas in Denmark is celebrated on the 24th and not the 25th like in the US. Christmas dinner is in the evening and then you walk around the christmas tree and sing holiday songs. After that you open presents.
Before going to Morten's parents house for dinner we went to a nearby forest and enjoyed the recent rather significant (and rare) snowfall on a quiet afternoon. Its not common to be able to use cross-country skis in Denmark...
This is the beautiful dinner table before we ate...
The dessert for Christmas dinner is pretty much the same all over Denmark, its a kind of rice porridge kind of thing with a ton of heavy cream and lots of small pieces of almonds in it. The goal is to get a portion that includes one of the WHOLE almonds rather than just the little pieces. There is one in the whole dessert. The person who gets the whole almond then gets an extra gift. Oh yeah and usually there is a cherry sauce on it, like this portion that I ate :-). Morten won this year!
This year Christmas was also fun because Morten's sister and husband came home with their daughter Norma for the holiday.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home